Monday, April 28, 2008

The Root of All Evil


At a truck stop last week we parked our RV for a moment. While I'm in the RV restroom some trucker knocks on the door and tells my wife to "Get the kids and come see! You won't believe what's goin' on over here!" Of course my wife stays in the RV. I get out to see what all the fuss is and between a bunch of trucks is a group of drivers standing around one guy sitting on the pavement. He has three playing cards face down on the ground and fist full of twenty dollar bills. The guy who first approached the RV waves his own fist full of twenty dollar bills while talking very excitedly: "You won't believe this - get in on it while you can - I just made a hundred bucks." Scam artists working together. It reminded me of a bunch of boys in elementary school pitching pennies.

After getting something at the office, I came back through and all the guys were gone - I snapped this photo of the place they were gathered and one lingering driver was very bothered that I was doing such a thing. Maybe it made them think twice about running the scam a second time.

Whenever my oldest son gets too thrilled over the money he has saved. (YES it is a good thing to save money - don't misunderstand!) I temper his excitement by repeating the phrase: "Love of money is the root of all evil."

A good thing for a man to remember - don't you agree? The hard part is that most of us are responsible for providing so it will always be a bit of balancing act. We don't love money - but we sure appreciate having it around. Better to have the phrase drilled into memory. Who knows? Without out it I could've been the guy sitting on the pavement between all those trucks.

Love the phrase a coffee shop owner shared: "The Lord loves me so much he will not give me a penny more than he can trust me with!"

In other news....
My occasional delays in posting are no measure of my interest in this soon-to-be-a-website-blog. I'm still waiting for your postings in the comment section. We are traveling full-time so expect my postings to be delayed. HHmmm I guess most of you men do not recall your early days of formation or you do not think you have any wisdom to share. I'll keep inviting you to add to this and eventually it will get into gear.

Once the web site is up and running we will send out a renewed invitation - meanwhile, keep passing this address along to the men you know.
Later!
MJP

1 comment:

Rebecca Frech said...

I love the quote from the coffee shop owner. I'm going to have to use it with my own boys. I'll have to ponder the childhood memory thing and see what I have to share.

Have a good, safe trip.