Friday, January 23, 2009

The Hair Fight



Okay - even though I'm bald now - I DID have a full head of hair a hundred years ago. My 13 year old was allowed to grow his usually very short hair longer - until today. Poor guy. He was really getting into the whole brushing it and flipping it and looking at it in the mirror. My hair was long like that at his age - maybe longer. But we decided to have it cut today.

He put up a valiant effort - but afterwards said he felt 'lighter'. I told him it was beginning to look like he was starting to be guilty of 'hair-worship'. I guess to some that makes me a 'mean dad'. Isn't that the challenge? You know your child and you do what feel is best for him (or her).

We told him when he's 18 he can grow it down to his ankles if he wants. It is amazing to see the difference in his attitude. With the long hair it was sullen, joyless, ...cool. Now with the short hair he is smiling more already. Glad he got to try it. More glad it is cut.

I'm sure some of you are rolling your eyes, saying something like, "Lighten UP man!" If so, by all means, type away...

An interesting article was forwarded to me today; to read it, click here

Thought provoking.

I love the time I am having with my sons these days. They are wonderful. Tonight, for example, after reading a few chapters of "The Hardy Boys" we got to laughing as they were fighting over how many good-nite hugs they could get from me.
Obviously the "hair fight" wasn't much of an ordeal with them. Thanks be to God.

P.S. The Old Ship in the photo was taken last week as my sons and I were roller blading (!) along the pier in Long Beach, CA
Yes, I got some roller blades to try to get some exercise. My boys are far better than me as they spin and skate backwards and do other fancy moves. Me - at almost 49 years of age I am thankful I have not crashed yet.

They enjoy feeling like they are better than Papa at something and they are quick to give me advice with a smile.
Funny how they are trying to be protective of me - they really don't want me to fall.
Great kids!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I learned the fol by way of inappropriate material and from older brothers. My dad passed away when I was 10. I have struggled many years with habitual sin from veiwing inappropiate material. In sharing my story the last few years with a men's group at our parish i have realized how many men struggle with trying to remain pure. I have realized that I wish I could have learned that the desire I have for women at a young man age was a God given feeling for a women God would chose for me. I have 14 and 12 year old boys. I have not done my part as a Christian father to share the FOL with them. I don't know how to go about it. Or if it is too late for the older boy. Advice I would give young men today would be to start a daily habit of prayer. Start small and build on that foundation. Continue to receive the Eucharist as often as possible. Ask God for His will be done. Then do the best you can in all aspects of your life.

43 Manhattan Beach, Ca
Grew up in Southern CA