Thursday, May 29, 2008

Purity and Setting Captives Free



The following comment was posted on May 26

I want to thank the priest who wrote about the setting captives free site and also shared that he too has struggled with sexual sin. It is a shame based sin which one often has difficulty discussing and also often rationalize this sin because of years of habit or because solitary sin is many times interpreted as having lesser importance in seeking to lead a life of purity. Also our society minimizes these actions as being normal and expected in the life of a man. I remember once when I went to the sacrament of reconciliation and the priest shared that men in the cloister also struggle with sexual issues. This took me by surprise but also gave me courage to continue on my own struggles. Thank you for creating this site.

You're welcome! Glad you like it. I said I would stop by the 'settingcaptivesfree.com' website - and so I did. It looks like a great effort. It is not just for sexual purity, but varous kinds of sins of excess. Does anyone know of a Roman Catholic equivalent to this site that we can recommend as well? I still have not heard back from my friend in Tulsa about his efforts in this ministry.
It obviously helped the priest who sent his comment - so it must be a good effort as it produced good fruit for him. I just want to alert any readers who choose to make use of this site that it looks to me like a non-denominational effort. Hopefully this group is a true friend of Roman Catholics and does not taint the basic Gospel message with the 'Whore of Babylon' insanity. Perhaps the priest who posted about will have some thoughts... All for now - as usual I will post as time allows. MJP

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have sought ways to connect with other men for valid conversation and sharing of our Faith Journey. I am aware of two resources that I would recommend to other guys. Deacon Harold Burke-Sivers has done extensive work on Catholic Values and men's spirituality. I first became aware of him on EWTN. His work is listed at http://auremcordis.com/ There is also an interview with this man and about his work at: http://www.ignatiusinsight.com/features2006/hburkesivers_ewtn_feb06.asp

Christopher West's work on Pope John Paul II Theology of the Body can be found at:
http://www.christopherwest.com/
I was very impressed by both of these men's work and their discussions. God Bless Guys !