Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Gift from God



She's almost three years old now. Last night at bedtime. My head was on a pillow on the floor beside her port-a-crib. Looking at her face to face through the netting. (Yes, we know she's out growing the port-a-crib but it works great in our RV for now)
I say "You're my daughter."
She answers, "An' yer my fadder."
I say, "I'm so glad you were born."
She says "yeah."
I say "You're a gift from God.
She says, "I can eat ice cubes."

And it goes on like that. She's a fire-wire girl. God help us guide her, and train her so she can keep her inner fire while not setting fire to everything around her. My wife Mary says she was just like that when she was a little girl. I can tell... and I would not have it any other way.

Some parents hold back encouragement or positive words for fear of giving their children a 'big head'. I think our children need to hear they are loved, beautiful, and that we are proud of them.

Last week I had another late night talk with my oldest son. I told him how proud I was of him for how he is fighting to remain pure of heart and mind and body. You should have seen him drink in that affirmation! I saw a load of concern fall off his shoulders as he smiled and thanked me. Sure, I still yelled at him the next day because he did something that bugged me. I'd rather not lose my patience but even when I do, I'm glad to have this system set in place where I can still say the words that matter most. Saying "I love you" does not mean they do not have to obey an instruction, it may even inspire them to want to obey.

A couple of years ago I noticed how every night Mary told the boys she loved them. I got to thinking, 'why don't I say that to them?' It really bugged me because it seemed like I had not said those words to the boys for years. I decided to change my ways. Now for over a year each night I tell each one "I love you." as they go to bed. Each night, especially my oldest one, melts and thanks me, and says it back.

From time to time I say how proud I am that they are growing the hearts of men. I am in awe of what God is doing in each of them. Forming them through my and Mary's words, through our examples, and accelerating that growth through the love we show them.

Don't misunderstand. It is not all sweetness living full-time in this RV! At the same time I am thankful to say that neither is it all bitterness and hardship. You may not be involved in a full time ministry traveling in an RV but God knows you have your own difficulties to face.

So... face them!
Face yourself.
See what needs to change in you and do your children a favor.
Change. Be a man after God's own heart.
Ask the manufacturer his opinion and be ready to blast your own opinion to kingdom come.
Now there's a play on words for you!

Pray for me to find a way to make more time to post here.
The more I travel, the more I see there is a need for men to encourage and challenge one another.
Please.. be encouraged! Remember we already know that in the end, God WINS!

No comments: