Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Temptation or Sin?



Here is a comment that was added to the last posting:

Purity is impossible to me. What am I supposed to do when I see the covers of magazines right in my face at the store? what about TV? movies? internet? its everywhere. And you're PURE? I wonder what drug you are taking to make you that way. I think lust is built into us men
call me an unbeliever


I used to be an unbeliever, too. So what I'm about to say comes from experience. Listen. Purity IS possible. Lust is NOT 'built into' men. Yes, the reproductive drive IS built in - and yes it can be hijacked by lust - but we men are called to purity. Am I pure in the area of lust or sexual sin? Yes. (And I'm not taking a drug that makes me this way; I owe it to God's grace!) Have I always been sexually pure? No. Temptation does seem to be everywhere, as you say, but each of us is responsible for what we DO to firstly to avoid (flee) temptation and secondly to refuse it a place to grow. Reject it. Stomp on it.

There is a world of difference between struggling with sexual temptation or struggling with sexual sin. We men will have to fight temptation until we die. So pace yourself. Prepare yourself. Don't lie to yourself. Be honest when you are allowing temptation to bear the fruit of sin. You can be tempted and remain pure. Jesus did it... I am doing it... and so can you.

I am willing to share ideas on how you can avoid or destroy lustful temptations. I hope you are willing to listen. Any of you other men out there who want to chime in - feel free! I have never claimed to be the wisest man on the internet.

Regarding what to do when you see magazines at the store? Look away.
T.V.? Kill your T.V., cancel your cable, read more.
Movie? Do not attend or rent 'R Rated' movies.
Online? Kill your computer or install filters.

I know these will sound simplistic - but if you are serious about wanting to be pure you will take serious steps in that direction. I hope you begin soon. C'mon guys - help me out here.

How do you fight impurity in YOUR lives? Every bit helps. Just keep the language simple so our solutions do not wind up causing more temptations for someone out there. Family duties are calling right now - gotta go...



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"How do you fight impurity in YOUR lives?"

One second, minute, hour and day at a time! I figure if I can go a day without a lustful thought or avert my eyes, to not let the temptation lead me to sin, then I can do it for the next day. Do I stumble? of course, but hopefully I will never lose sight of the fact that I can do it just for a day....