Thursday, September 25, 2008

Hero Dad of 7 sons...


Here's a story for you fathers or fathers-to-be. I was just reading about Thomas Vander Woude in an email five minutes ago... and had to post it while I had the chance. One of the qualities that describe a great dad is selflessness and this quality can only reach maturity in service to others, be they our wives, parishioners, or our children. I'm still working on that quality in myself. I've heard it before and I've said it before: "It's easy to sing and speak or blog about this stuff - but it is another thing altogether to live it out. Thomas Vander Woude probably did not think twice about saving the life of his son. Seems like there was no question but to act. God bless him and God bless his family.

I don't know about you but sometimes I can get so preoccupied about the technical side of life - maybe it's a just a guy thing or maybe just a lack-of-prayer thing. We have so many distractions. Tonight Mr Woude calls me to ponder how I care for my children and how much I am willing to lay down my own life for the sake of theirs.

I hear about some dads who focus on their own hobbies to the detriment of their families - I'd rather be more like Mr Woude.

No comments: