Saturday, March 1, 2008

61 year old Taxi Driver

I'm sitting on the plane here in LA about to fly to Houston.

Can't pronounce his name but a taxi driver was very excited to share his wisdom for me to pass along to young men in America. As usual, I will paraphrase:

"In my village in Africa, when one is 6 years old - his life really begins, his heart begins to beat with knowledge. By ten he is on his own. Not like in America. In America, the child is on his own from the start because Mother works and Father works. He learns from those at school and at sports and from the daycare worker. He will not share what he learns from these places with his mom and dad. They must ask him and even then sometimes he will not say...

I would tell young men in America that maybe you have a bunch of money - that is not important. Maybe you have many things - that is not important. Maybe you have much popularity - that is not important.

As you grow to be a man - what is most important is that you have a good heart and you make wise choices. You cannot do this with drugs or alcohol. You cannot do this just because you might have a lot of money. Pleasure cannot lead you to the truth - only to more pleasure and eventually it will sicken you.

I told my children: You will not get a dime from me. You will get guidance. You may not leave this home unless you have a college degree. That is the way it is with me. My daughter is a doctor already in Australia - she is very happy. I told her: 'Your life will be a good and happy one.'

People sometimes mistreat me because I am a taxi driver. Sometimes I must teach them to be kind - so if they abuse me before they get into my cab, I say I'm sorry, this cab is not for you after all. And I drive away. This happened last week with a young woman about 35 years of age. She argued with me and called me stupid before she ever got in the cab. I drove off without her and she was very mad but I teach her to be more respectful to the next taxi driver.

This behavior I expect from a teenager - not from someone who is 35 or more. I expect they gain wisdom as they age. Some people do not. I would tell young men today. Strive for wisdom. Not just to say smart things - but to be wise. That is all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This story is interesting. I often wonder what people think or are thinking. I "get to" take cabs now and then as well, and most of time the driver does not say anything except to ask what airline or hotel I need ot go to. He is always from another country.

In my business I get to speak to many people, with many different backgrounds, ethnicities and up-bringings.

I really like this job. People are very interesting and most always very pleasant. As I speak to them, (I am always asking questions, though it is part of the job) about them and about what they think.

The great part is, I try to see the goodness or God in each person. Often I go away thinking that I could see being one of their friends.

My colleague and I have a professional motto that we use, which really could be universally used.

Here is the original wording:
To Lady Hannah Elice
October 24, 1831

"The way to be comfortable is to make others comfortable.
The way to make others comfortable is to appear to love them.
The way to appear to love them -- is to love them in reality."

from Jeremy Bentham

Our spin is a little more simple:
“The way to be comfortable is to make others comfortable. The way to make others comfortable is to appear to like them. The way to appear to like them – is to actually like them.”

This simple saying could go for how we treat anyone, especially in this blog topic of being a man, and how we treat women, overall. (But, in reality, all people.)

God bless, and keep up the great blogging!

BigDaddyAZ