Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Amazing but True!

This is a photo of 'Rex', our alligator head, and my son John Paul. We were traveling with Rex in the storage compartment under the RV but right now he's in Oklahoma. 

Well in the last post I tried video and so far it does not look like it worked. Live and learn. 

Below is a story one man told me and I have shared it numerous times. Each time I think of posting it, I hesitate because I do not want to offend anyone. But this is such a perfect example of how tragic the situation IS out in the real world.... 

I still cannot bring myself to type the exact words so you will need to use your imagination and fill in the blanks on this one. This is a 53 year old husband and father from Oregon. I will paraphrase what he told me:

I was home with a fever the day they showed the slideshow on reproduction to my sixth grade class. My mom, a quiet midwest farmer's wife, came in, sat on the edge of my bed and said, "Son I guess you know they're watching the slideshow in school today." 

"Yes Ma'am." 

"I guess you know what that's about."

"Yes Ma'am."

(silence as mom looks at the floor...)

"Son, I'm only gonna tell you this once."

(another few seconds of silence)

"Keep your car out of the ditches
your peter in your britches
and you won't get the itches
from the (ethnic group) b_tches."

Then she gets up and leaves the room. Remember, I am in bed with a fever."
I asked this man if his father had told him anything...

"No he didn't. He probably would have said, 'Go watch the damn cows!"

Amazing - but true! Any questions as to why I feel this blog is needed?
God help us. 

Again I thank those of you who have posted comments. Though I cannot see who you are - I am glad for your stories. Those of you who have not yet posted - the rest of us look forward to hearing your stories and/or your advice. Your comment does not have to be as dramatic as this one. There is no need to try to 'top this'. Maybe someone out there needs to hear it for the one hundredth time before he decides to overcome his fear and make a difference in his son's life. This blog is intended to make it easier for you men. 

Texas Salesman: "The closest I ever came to talking with my father about sex was after I was caught writing the 'F' word in school. They sent a note home and my dad sat down with me and asked: "Did you write this word?" I said 'yessir'. "Do you know what this means?" I said yessir. "Well, don't tell your mother." And that was it! That was the nearest thing to 'the talk' that I ever got.

Arizona Firefighter: "My dad left us when I was 12 - he didn't tell me anything... please start that blog."

Oklahoma Businessman: "Someone slid a book about reproduction under my door one night. To this day I have no idea if it was my mom or dad. We never spoke about it."

Your turn.

No comments: