Friday, February 8, 2008

Fishers of men


Yost Lake, borrowed fishing poles, a dock. Yes we caught some fish. No we did not eat them - but the memory of the moment still feeds us.

I love that Jesus went out on the boat with Peter. I love how he got involved with the lives of the men he spoke to and called to ministry.

Years ago a Bishop told me about his change of heart regarding the way he treated priests in his diocese. After one of his priests shared a struggle with feeling alone, the Bishop suggested he get himself a dog. Later he called this priest to say he would be his friend, and began meeting with him on a more regular basis.

In marriage or in the priesthood, it is possible to distance ourselves from our spouse or community. Boundaries are a good thing - but not if all vulnerability is cut off. I hear stories and see evidence of dead marriages as well as confused priests.

Most of us have heard the term 'dead-beat dad'. It describes a would-be father who is not sharing in the upbringing or the financial cost of raising his own children. Most dead-beat dads begin first as a dead-beat husbands. Men would do well to speak up more often when we see signs of sickness in another man - whether he is a priest, married, or single.

We need each other. It is not just a man thing - it is a human thing.

I am thankful for the men in my life who challenge me to think and grow - to do better. My father tells me every once in awhile: "To whom much is given; much is expected." I have been given an enormous gift in my wife and children - and yes, much is expected - and here I am not referring to the 'honey-do' list.

Somedays it is the most natural thing in the world while other times I need to make a conscious effort to be present to my wife and children. It is so easy to stay in work-mode. Work is good because it ensures that there will be food and clothing; being present is equally vital as it feeds the heart and soul of the family.

Speaking of being present... my 2 year old daughter just got up from her nap and is asking me, "Papa, can I hold you?"
Gotta go...
MJP

No comments: