Friday, January 4, 2008

The Question Box

Great comment from BIGDADDYAZ (#4 in 'Instruction' post) 

I'm just gonna toss out ideas for the sake of men like you who are close to having 'The Talk'.

In my first conversation with him, I introduced my son to the idea of the 'Question Box'. Now if we lived in a normal house (instead of an RV) I would probably have a shelf or a place where I could actually put a locked box. Since I don't, I told him he could write down any question he might have about sex, fold up the piece of paper and hand it to me. He could say: "This is for the Question Box." or he could use a secret code word like "QB" and I'd know what to do with the paper. I would keep it in my wallet, take it out later, and pray about the best answer. Then we would pick some time once a week to answers his questions. This gives me time to be a little more prepared and also make it easier for him to not have to speak aloud the questions he wants to ask. Anything to make it easier for him and for me.

As it turns out my oldest is pretty comfortable pulling me aside in private and asking me questions. So much for my being prepared - but if I needed to (so far I haven't) I could still say: "Let me pray about that before I give you an answer." I am always careful to tell him how proud I am of him that he could come to me with such a question.

I want him to always come to me first.

A friend e-mailed me today also recommending the book "Wild at Heart" by John Eldredge. There is also a "Wild at Heart" 'Field Manual' that goes with the book. I purchased both books and just finished the 1st chapter. My friend suggested blending what is found in this book with the writings of Pope John Paul II on "The Theology of the Body". I think this combination would be life-changing to say the least.

Those of you who are unfamiliar with "Theology of the Body" will be blown away by what JPII has put together. Christopher West is one of the leading presenters on this theme and Jason and Crystalina Evert are also helping to ignite a revolution using the teachings behind the Theology of the Body.

I fully intend to incorporate these teachings in what I am beginning to share with my son.
Lastly, I think the power of this blog will not be my meditations or ideas - it will come from you men who take the time to post a comment or send me an e-mail. 

We learn from each other. The greater variety of stories - the better our field of vision.

No comments: