Friday, January 18, 2008

SoCal Padre

This quote is from the comments section that a few of you told me you had trouble finding. SoCal Padre gets the award for being the first comment on this blog. Here's what he sent December 29, 2007:


Hey MJP,

I can see the importance of giving your sons the opportunity to understand their development as Christian young men. When I was growing up my Dad sat me down and gave me the talk when I was 11 years old. But I don't think that the one talk should have been enough. There were times along the way that we should have talked about dealing with the anxeities and frustrations. Your sons should know that attraction to young women is something to praise God for but to also include God when they begin to encounter temptations. When I was growing up, I allowed the opinions of my friends to speak for what I perceived regarding male sexuality. As a result, I did not always have a healthy concept in my perception of women. Many of my relationships were only sexual. I saw very few women as friends.
I grew up in the Catholic Church but stopped practicing my faith because of the guilt associated with my perceptions of sex. Part of the reason that I could return to the Church was because the writings of St. Augustine. They became the example that inspired me to make a real conversion. I saw the true liberation in Jesus by bringing all of my fears and doubts to him in confession. When Augustine made made his conversion it came about after he read Romans 13:11-14, "It is now the time to awake from sleep...let us throw off the deeds of darkness...and put on the armor of light." Both Paul and John in his gospel and in his letters put truth in the same place as light, where nothing can be hidden. We must be this honest about ourselves and who we are in relation to Christ. 
This way when we are hit with temptation we begin to see the importance of not hiding our temptaions but bringing all our fears, anxieties, and sexual temptaions to Jesus. We need to see that, as human beings, sexuality has its place with God. We participate in His plan for creation as married couples but there is also a fecundity in His plan for our salvation when we teach others to be in right relationship with one another. 

In Christ's Peace,
So Cal Padre

No comments: